Greece is hands down one of the most beautiful countries in the world, and films such as Mamma Mia made that pretty clear. From delectable food to timelessly charming architecture, it’s a little slice of heaven. But if there’s one thing Greece has quickly become known for, it’s the beauty of their dream-like beaches.
With water so blue it almost looks fake and sand so white it’s like walking on a cloud, it’s no surprise travellers have added Greece and its beaches to their travel list – and that includes families that travel together. The good news? With so many amazing beaches to choose from, dozens of them have become top touring destinations for travellers with families, including those with young children.
Of course, all of Greece’s beaches are noteworthy, but if you’re touring Greece as a family, these are the top three family-friendly beaches to have on your list:
- Location: Rhodes Island ( 20 kilometres south of Rhodes Town)
- Iconic features: Picturesque seashore with fine sand, lush vegetation surrounding the cove, and small boats sailing near the shore.
- Family-friendly features: Umbrellas and sun beds provided at a small cost, fresh water showers on-site, traditional taverns serving fresh food, smaller in size so no one gets lost.
Ladiko Beach is ideal for anyone travelling with children, simply because of its size, amenities, and accessibility. Just 20 kilometres south of Rhodes Town, this hidden cove is perfect for a family beach day. You don’t have to worry about packing umbrellas or lawn chairs – it’s all provided for a very minimal fee.
The size of the beach also limits the risk of anyone getting lost, which any parent knows is a huge travelling bonus.
- Location : Crete (34 kilometres south of Rethymnon)
- Iconic features : Breathtaking mountain views, hidden from major tourist destinations, crystal clear blue waters and powdery white sand.
- Family-friendly features : Boat tours offered daily, shallow water ideal for small children, sunbeds, umbrellas, and showers on-site, beachfront restaurants nearby, considerably less busy than other beaches in the area.
If you’re interested in a beach that offers stunning views, safe water, and comfortable amenities, this is the beach for you! Complete with mountain views and crystal-clear water, Plakias Beach is both beautiful and family friendly. Shallow water allows children to enjoy the water without fear and the beachfront taverns make sure everyone is well fed and cared for.
- Location: Crete (75 kilometres south of Chania)
- Iconic features: Stunning landscapes with breathtaking colours, fluffy white and pink sand, warm lagoons, nearby stroll to the lighthouse with endless sea views.
- Family-friendly features: Beach chairs and umbrellas at no extra cost, shallow water for kids, snorkelling opportunities for older kids and parents, impeccably clean beach and facilities.
Elafonissi Beach in Crete is consistently rated as one of the best beaches in all of Greece, and for good reason. Blanketed in lush white and pink sands, Elafonissi never fails to paint an incredible canvas of colour, from soft pinks to intense turquoises.
Complete with shallow water, lagoon pools, snorkelling, and nearby lighthouses, this beach is ideal for any family that wants a beach with both beauty and functionality.